Guest's picture

All

Listed in: Page
Yuni-Net: Don't Get Caught!
Submitted by cait on Sun, 02/08/2009 - 21:00

Yuni-Net (Yuni-Net-subscribe@yahoogroups.com) is the Yahoo group that has been created by and for foreigners in India.  It is a place to chat, to trade, and to whinge.  Nobody I’ve spoken to is sure why it is called ‘Yuni-Net’, (perhaps it translates as ‘lost’ in Icelandic?), but it is certainly true that any foreigner planning to be in Delhi for the long haul will sign up at some point. Things you may obtain from Yuni-Net include: Hindi teachers, art supplies, second hand inverters, recommendations for drivers and maids, tips on where to buy good chocolate cake, a room in a house share, an invitation to a barbeque, a job...the list is endless.

I once encountered a cringe-worthy post on Yuni-Net from a girl who wanted to know where the equivalent to New York’s lower Manhattan was in Delhi. “I’m used to living in the very coolest of places and have done in Amsterdam, London and New York City”, she said. Later that day I overheard a group of European expats in a bar laughing about that same post. They couldn’t believe how naive she was either. It is a very public forum, the Yuni-Net community is expansive.

It is also not exclusive to foreigners.  I once attended a house sale on one of the primmest streets in civilised Vasant Vihar in response to a post on Yuni-Net. I expected a gentle sale in the garden, full of Delhi newcomers pottering about, perhaps out to buy a set of knives and forks or contemplating putting an offer in for a wicker chair or two. Instead the place had transformed itself into a furious out-door auction. The family’s unwanted processions had been separated into lots and a band of rowdy local shop keepers were standing on a garden bench shouting at the self appointed auctioneer.

Unsurprisingly for a network that exists predominantly for a transient population, a lot of furniture is bought and sold on Yuni-Net too. In this way it functions similarly to how Craigslist does in some other large cities around the world. There are some real bargains to pick up, for example, I got a very good price on a pair of electrical heaters that I bought in July (no prize for guessing why...).  However, it is also a very competitive market; things come and go quickly and sellers expect fairly high prices in many cases.

I recently had a few disappointing experiences on Yuni-Net which I want to share in order that we may all learn from my silly mistakes.  The first was with an air conditioning unit. After a week of negotiation with a lady in Defence Colony, I was all set to go and collect my treasure when I happened to think to ask if it was a unit for a wall. It transpired it was a window ac unit. As I had assumed otherwise, the deal was off. Clarification early on in the process would have saved us both a lot of time.

The second incident proved to be a tad more expensive and thus a lot more heart breaking.  I arranged to buy two beds having been in email contact with the seller and having carefully examined the photo of the goods that was posted alongside the advertisement. Jenny had had to flee India for the States in order to tend to her sick mother.  In her wake she left a flat full of furniture for the next tenant to sell on her behalf.  She was unwilling to accept my lower offers for the two beds, but I trusted her and subsequently pretty much paid the asking price. The money safely transferred to her account in the US, I arranged to go round to her last residency and collect the goods. I was gutted to find the beds, not only old and tiered, but without the mattresses that they had been photographed with. I have been ripped off. The feeling of distress is deepened by the realisation that I have been betrayed by one of my own, another member of the Yuni-net community.

When considering what I have learnt through these Yuni-Net transactions, a phrase comes to mind, in the words of Mr President Reagan, “TRUST BUT VERIFY”.  (Capitals applied by yours truly)

Categories: All | Lifestyle
Your rating: None Average: 4.3 (3 votes)

31 Comments

foxy1 wrote English familymoving to Dehli 1 year-Best place to live schools at 12:26:50 AM on January 23, 2010

foxy1's picture
hello - my husband has been offered a job in Dehli for a year - the company he works for will pay for accommodation and schooling but I wanted to to find out where the best areas to live in Dehli are. We are English. We have 2 children aged 3 and 5 so would also need to know about international schools - which ones are the best. Do not want to have to travel to far for schools ideally. Would like to be where lots of expats are - nice area with some things going on. 3/4 bedroom place - are there any gated communities? pools? Would really appreciate any information you can give. Thank you

Guest wrote regarding ur quries at 05:13:35 PM on April 27, 2010

vipin kumar nagpal's picture

well its justa first day mine on this site and read about u. i think delhi isa nice place as well u can find a good reasonable area as well school too. but u have to judge the thing according to your budget .

i can suggest u one place which can be suit u as per ur requirmet, its a upcoming new develop area in south delhi nea apollo hospotal. where u can get a good 4 bedroom house on rent with pool facilty too.. coz there is already a sports complex and its on resonable rates too , and in the radius of 7 km u found 4-5 good school too

rest if u are interested in more can mail me if u feel u wann knw more about this city. i am also a outsider bt indian who sttled here from 7 yrs ,

vipin

Guest wrote Areas like muswell hill or finchley. at 12:04:37 AM on June 5, 2010

Ms. Rekha Krishnan's picture

Hi

Welcome to Delhi ! I am a property dealer & mostly work with embassies. I understand by now you must have settled down however, if you have any similar questions do let me know. Similar areas like finchley or muswell hill in london think would be GK 2, Panchsheel park, Anand Niketan & Westend. Do get in touch at 9873935679. Rekha.

Guest wrote Reply to comment | Delhi Live at 05:45:19 PM on January 23, 2013

http://englishmatches.com's picture

It's very easy to find out any topic on web as compared to textbooks, as I found this article at this site.

Guest wrote Your post about your move to Delhi at 10:19:55 AM on March 26, 2010

Vipin Khushu's picture

Hi,

My parents live in New Delhi and have a house available for rent.

Here's a link to the listing for the house on craigslist.

The British School is pretty close to the house - I would say probably a 20 minute drive.

I have to say, though, that the house is not part of a gated community although there are plenty of expatriates who live in and around the area that my parents' house is in.

Our contact numbers are shown in the craigslist ad. I live in the U.S. and so my number is the one starting with 001.

Feel free to contact me or drop me a line any time.

Thanks!

Guest wrote Yuni-net -- why the name at 08:06:57 PM on April 15, 2010

Guest's picture

It's actually not a mystery why it's called Yuni Net. Go back to the very first post in the Yahoogroup archive and you'll find out that it was started in 2000 for young people here on some UN program -- YUNI stands for "Young United Nations India."

Guest wrote Reply to comment | Delhi Live at 11:33:55 AM on June 5, 2013

Cassie's picture

Right here are some that make me roll my eyes:

Guest wrote Fully Furnished two rooms available in Defence colony at 05:47:06 PM on January 5, 2011

Guest's picture

We have fullyfurnished two rooms with attached bathroom and pantry accomodation at 2nd floor of defence colony area of south delhi . This apartment is available for rent. This is only for girl.

anubha agarwal wrote Query at 02:32:17 PM on January 10, 2011

anubha agarwal's picture

Hi! I am Anubha Agarwal and I am looking for a fully furnished 2bhk. Me and my friend (a girl) are ready to move once we have looked at the flat. Please let me know if your flat is still up for rent and when can we come and see it. reply to my mail- im.anubha.agarwal@gmail.com
Thanks

charline wrote room to rent at 06:12:31 PM on August 31, 2011

charline's picture

Hi,

I'am Charline i going to New delhi the september 12 for 3 months and i am looking for a flat sharing in south new delhi clause to hauz khas village.

thanks a lot.

Charlinebrechotte@gmail.com

Average: 5 (1 vote)

Guest wrote room rental at 07:09:03 PM on October 19, 2012

Guest 's picture

My friend from France is looking for small place to rent in central delhi for 6 months while she carries out an assignlment for the ICCR. She is an academic, with a scholarship to India. Please could you let me know how much you are expecting for the two rooms?

Guest wrote Room sharing at Malviya nagar at 04:14:36 PM on September 4, 2014

Preet thapar's picture

I have rooms available for sharing in my 4 bedroom a/c house fully furnished with every required facility that can be utilised. Rent ? 20,000/- per month plus utilities.
Contact preet + 919810081799; +919810767623. moonofmydelight@yahoo.com

Guest wrote looking for photography assignments at 08:13:37 PM on January 17, 2011

mansi thapliyal's picture

I am currently freelance photographer with Reuters India. I provide mostly documentary photographs on various subjects. For example I covered stories on the contradiction behind the commonwealth games, Delhi floods 2010, etc. Previously, I did a story with the Kashmir based magazine CONVEYOR about a family who's home was occupied by the military. I am interested in the social issues of daily life and that's why I am interested working with Save the children on projects as a photographer.
My main interest is to provide good images for the stories, not necessarily for monetary gain.
Please contact me if there is any possibility of working with any organisation.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22378413@N08/ my personnel work
my published work

Guest wrote New Yuni-net 2.0: www.yuni-net.in at 08:33:09 PM on October 2, 2011

Guest's picture

try the new yuni-net 2.0 forum: www.yuni-net.in
Spam-free, more open, interactive and user-friendly.

www.yuni-net.in

Average: 5 (1 vote)

Guest wrote acupressure tharepy at 08:44:52 PM on November 16, 2011

lata bhatnagar's picture

i need therapist in south Delhi

Guest wrote Reply to comment | Delhi Live at 12:28:15 AM on May 18, 2013

Clara's picture

Yes! Finally someone writes about how to pick up girls like don draper.

Guest wrote selling my bike Kawasaki Ninja 9r at 11:16:49 PM on February 7, 2013

Guest faroqui's picture

hi i would like to sell my Bike ninja 9r if anybody intrested do let me know. thanks

Guest wrote questions about India? at 01:13:15 PM on May 15, 2013

Cora's picture

Hi,
I am from the Netherlands and running and travel agency in Delhi. If you have any questions or need any help with something, about anything, please let me know. I have been travelling in several parts of India and also have done 2 months voluntary work in Varanasi.
Besides travelling is photography another of my passions.

Hope to meet, chat, or whatever,

Kind regards,

Cora

Average: 5 (1 vote)

Guest wrote In budget Accomodation in South Delhi at 10:09:39 PM on May 31, 2013

Samariya's picture

Hi! If Someone is Looking for Independent Houses,Apartments in South Delhi on Rent which fits your budget..Please Give me chance to Serve you..will take care even after you rent the house and maintenance also...Thnx n Regards

Guest wrote Expats in India at 02:40:03 PM on November 12, 2013

Guest's picture

please feel free to join and post your basic requirements be it household, grocery, rental, health etc at www.expatsinindia.org.

Thanks

Guest wrote full time nanny for 6 month old baby at 08:00:25 PM on April 26, 2014

Rakhi Singh's picture

Hi,

My name is Rakhi Singh and I live in Vasant Vihar. Im looking for a full time nanny to look after my 6 month old baby. This would inlcude:
bathing
massaging
cooking his food
washing/ironing clothes
putting him to bed
Feeding etc

If you have any leads please email me on rakhi.singh520@yahoo.com

Guest wrote Car for sale at 08:27:58 PM on July 10, 2014

Guest's picture

Celebrate purchase of this limited XYLO Mahindra celebration edition at a price you can afford. Striking golden brown colour (2011 model) with decals. Excellent interior with leather seats and walnut trimmings.Low milage of 28000km. Get value for your money @ 7.5lakhs for this FANTASTIC CAR. CONTACT @ valentine.oredola@gmail.com. Mobile number +919799166999

Guest wrote looking for a roomie at 11:29:54 PM on July 22, 2014

daniela's picture

we are looking for a girl to share a flat in lajpat Nagar II. the rent is 6.750 + 250 (maid) + electricity + deposit. asap starting in August. contact number: 9711857825

Guest wrote looking for a roomie at 11:35:49 PM on July 22, 2014

daniela's picture

hello,
We are looking a girl to share a flat in lajpat Nagar . the rent is 6.750 + 250 (maid) + deposit + electricity .
contact: 9711857825

Guest wrote looking for a roomie at 11:35:51 PM on July 22, 2014

daniela's picture

hello,
contact: 9711857825

Guest wrote Suggest Good room in Gurgaon can walk to Huda city centre metro at 09:49:20 PM on August 10, 2014

Patt pasayawan's picture

Hi friends

I am Patt from Thailand I have good house in Gurgaon to suggest you .it can walk to Huda city centre
" fully Independent floor, Deluke flat at Sushanlok 1 B-block number B222 ,constructed on 300 yards plot 100 % east facing ,2 bedrooms(14*12) ,hall 25*13 .Attached with bathrooms,modular kitchen , full wooden work , lot of storage cupboards,3 phase power connection nearest landmark " the radisson hotel" it is not more than 40,000 rupees ( negotiated )
Any query information pls contact tel 9868877541 and 9818736862

Patt pasayawan's picture

Hi friends

Any query information pls contact tel 9868877541 and 9818736862

Guest wrote Suggest Good room in Gurgaon can walk to Huda city centre metro at 09:49:38 PM on August 10, 2014

Patt pasayawan's picture

Hi friends

Any query information pls contact tel 9868877541 and 9818736862

Guest wrote Good house at Gurgaon 10 minutes to Huda city Center at 11:37:24 AM on August 26, 2014

Patt pasayawan's picture

Don't miss Good house at Sushanlok lok ,wooden decoration 3 BHK only 30,000 rupees (negotiated) very good area kindly contact Mr.Ishwar tell 981873862

Guest wrote Good house at Gurgaon 10 minutes to Huda city Center at 11:37:32 AM on August 26, 2014

Patt pasayawan's picture

Guest wrote Maid at 09:42:00 PM on September 26, 2014

nathaliequadranti's picture

I am looking for a good Maid as a all rounder.
I need really a good trustfull person. I have 2 kids ( 3 years and 5 years ).

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.